Visits and heritage – Places to go – things to do
Nature, mountain and ocean, history and culture, music and dance, gastronomy , the vineyards of the South-West of France are all within reach in this beautiful region of the Hautes Pyrénées.
- The nearby walled towns of Gascony, medieval villages and castles such as Vic Montaner with its monumental keep…
- The vineyards and wineries (tasting included) in Madiran (13 km away) and Saint-Mont (30 km), the different traditional markets in Maubourguet and nearby towns
- The Val d’Adour open for walking and cycling
- The nearby Gers department…
What about gastronomy ?
You will, of course, enjoy foie gras , cassoulet, Tarbais beans, stew in Madiran wine, poultry, honey, wines, veal…All delicious!
You will also enjoy the colourful, vibrant atmosphere of the local markets.
You like music and dance? Come and attend famous festivals such as:
- Jazz in Marciac (13 km)
- Tarbes en tango (27 km)
- The Country Music Festival in Mirande (39 km)
- Tempo Latino in Vic-Fezensac (50 km)
- The Latin American Festival in Capvern les Bains (60 km)
You want to discover the Pyrenees?
Maubourguet is ideally situated for touring the prestigious natural sites of the French Pyrenees and, if you feel like, you can also go on a day trip to Spain through the mountain passes of Somport (1632 m) or Pourtalet (1794 m) or of l’Envalira (2407m) if you choose to travel through Andorra.
The region offers countless sites to discover and numerous activities:
- Enjoying a thermal cure or wellness program: numerous natural springs are at the origin of renowned spa towns such as Bagnères-de-Bigorre (49 km), Cauterets (78 km), Capvern les Bains (60 km). The Landes department too has several spa towns such as Eugénie les Bains (50 km)
- Canyoning: the famous “Sierra De Guara and its canyons” in the Spanish Pyrenees, a site which very much resembles a Far West landscape, a splendid, exceptional site dedicated to canyoning, rock climbing, trekking… …
- And many other activities in the area:
- Golf in Tillac (18 km), rafting-kayaking, rock climbing, paragliding, mountain bike, quad-4x4-riding, adventure park, the little train of Artouste (the highest tourist train of Europe (at an altitude of more than 2000m …)
- Or…follow in the footsteps of the Tour de France racers in July
Maubourguet is also the gate to the Basque Country
The « Basque Country” has plenty of beautiful natural sites and museums. It also has various festivals, the Atlantic ocean, all sorts of specialties (a variety of cheese, cured meats, piment d’Espelette (Espelette pepper…) Bayonne is just 150 km away. Biarritz 160 km.